Bigger Text Smaller Text Print Email Email Share
Israel
HealthHealth

5 Ways You Can Look After Your Mental Health in 2020

With the crazy, unprecedented year that 2020 has been, it's natural to have felt at least a little overwhelmed at some point. With mental health being a key issue in many places around the world, such as stress, anxiety and depression, it's more important than ever to look after your mental wellbeing. One of the first steps is to realise that everyone experiences mental health issues at some point and that there is no shame in it. Of course, one of the first things to suggest is talking to a professional. But what other ways can you be a friend to your mental health that you can start today? Here are 5 Ways You Can Look After Your Mental Health in 2020. Talk About Your Feelings It's not always easy talking about your feelings when you're troubled, but doing so can be exactly what you need to start taking charge of your wellbeing. Whether it's talking to friends, calling a helpline or using online chat services, there are many ways you can vent to someone. You're not alone with your emotions, and venting can help take a little bit of the weight off of your shoulders. Keep Active Staying active can be extremely beneficial for mental health. Exercising triggers endorphins, positive feelings, and a sense of accomplishment. If you find life is getting you down, why not go for a jog or work out? Studies have found that even a few minutes a day can help people's general sense of wellbeing. Set Aside Some Me Time Every Day Setting aside 'Me Time' isn't just a way to have fun, but is a powerful way to sustain a healthy sense of mental and emotional wellbeing. It's also productive because it can positively affect every aspect of your life, including work and relationships. 'Me Time' can come in many forms: some people like to read a book and others like to curl up in bed and binge-watch their favourite Netflix show. It doesn't have to be profound, nor does it have to be productive in the traditional sense. It can be helpful to switch off your phone or log out of social media, so you can truly make the most of your own company. As long as it lets you re-charge, relax and unwind. Find Ways to De-Stress and Cultivate Positive Feelings I mentioned having 'Me Time' as a way to de-stress, but there are also other ways you can actively cultivate positive emotions for yourself. A few minutes of Yoga, meditation or breathing techniques have been found to improve people's sense of wellbeing, as well as their long-term level of calmn. If you suffer from stress or anxiety, trying a few minutes of meditation each day may be perfect for you. The best part is that you can do it anywhere, including your bedroom, and even sitting on the train on your way to work. Eat and Drink Sensibly Looking after your mind and body doesn't just mean staying active. In fact, your eating habits are a major contributor to your energy levels and even mood. It is important to eat and drink sensibly - the less junk food the better. The keyword here is 'sensibly'. With that said, it's okay to occasionally spoil yourself with a nice meal. On top of eating well, getting a health amount of sleep is important too. Consistently having a lack of sleep can lead to burnout, fatigue and poor moods. If you're someone who is doing who is doing just fine or your mental health isn't at it's best, it is always important to take time to be a friend to yourself. If you're worried about your mental health, please contact a health professional.
0 0
Share facebook share twitter share Email whatsapp share
Loading   (Post a comment)
Order: Order by DateDate Order by RatingRating Order by PopularityPopularity